Sports - Fishing
Fishing Loop and Pin
Tiger, Wolfs, Bears and Webelos Scouts may complete these requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment.
Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Fishing Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner. Explain why they are important, and commit to following them.
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Try to catch a fish.
Requirements for the Fishing Pin
Earn the Fishing belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community fishing tournament.
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits, and equipment needed to catch it.
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each works.
- Tie three fishing flies. Use at least one to fish.
- Demonstrate proficiency in casting at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations and the Outdoor Code.
Steps to Follow:
- Download and Print Worksheet at bottom of page
- Scout completes Worksheet
- Turn completed Worksheet into your Den Leader
- Den Leader may have questions for your Scout
- Den Leader will enter completion date into Tracking Software
- Scout will be awarded Loop a/o Pin at the next Pack Meeting
- Limit of Two Loops and Two Pins per Month