Sports - BB Gun Shooting
BB Gun Shooting Loop and Pin
The BB Gun Shooting belt loop and pin can be awarded only by a BSA range-trained shooting sports director at a BSA-approved range.
Scouts can earn gun-shooting recognition items only at council/district day camp, resident camp, or council-managed family camping programs. Gun shooting is not approved for the Cub Scout program outside of these defined venues.
To be a BSA range officer, an adult must attend a three-hour training program conducted by a National Camping School-certified field sports director or National Rifle Association (NRA) instructor.
Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Belt Loop
- Explain the rules of safe BB gun shooting you have learned to your leader or adult partner.
- Demonstrate to your leader or adult partner good BB gun shooting techniques, including eye dominance, shooting shoulder, breathing, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through.
- Practice shooting at your district or your council camp in the time allowed.
Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Pin
The BB Gun sports pin is earned by completing the camp BB Gun safety program and qualifying with a minimum of 60 credits in firing activities with a parent or adult partner, and with a certified range officer present.
Earn the BB Gun shooting belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:
- Explain the parts of a BB gun and demonstrate how to properly load the gun.
- Demonstrate the shooting positions.
- Develop proficient shooting techniques by practicing for three hours.
- Learn the correct scoring techniques for target BB gun shooting.
- Make a poster that emphasizes the proper range commands.
- Draw to scale or set up a BB gun shooting range.
- Show improvement in your shooting ability with an increase in scoring points.
- Help make a type of target for the camp BB gun shooting range.
- Show how to put away and properly store BB gun shooting equipment after use.
- Explain how to use the safety mechanism on a BB gun.
- Tell five facts about the history of BB guns.
Requirements for the BB Gun Shooting Sports Award Certificate
Certificates may be awarded to the Cub Scout or Webelos Scout at any time he achieves a level of marksmanship. It is possible to earn five certificates if every level of marksmanship has been accomplished.
Before completing the Pro Marksman requirements below, the following criteria must be met:
- Instruction: Complete a basic BB gun marksmanship safety course.
- Shooting: Fire five groups of shots (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter, and then adjust the BB gun sight so that the group is centered on a bullseye. (No specific score is required.) Then fire the Marskmanship levels shown below.
Steps to Follow:
- Attend a Camp with BB Gun Range and Certified Instructors
- Turn completed Worksheet into your Den Leader
- Den Leader may have questions for your Scout
- Den Leader will enter completion date into Tracking Software
- Scout will be awarded Loop a/o Pin at the next Pack Meeting
- Limit of Two Loops and Two Pins per Month